NME is reporting that the bodyguard of Simon Leviev (from 'The Tinder Swindler') is threatening to sue Netflix for his appearance in the hit documentary. The quick summary is that Leviev conned several women out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, while his bodyguard Piotr was often seen alongside him. Now Piotr's lawyer is claiming that Netflix has unfairly portrayed him to the extent that he has lost "the ability to work as a bodyguard, probably forever, as well as his reputation." I have not seen the documentary but I admit, when I read this my first thought was, "you made your bed, now lie in it." In this line of work, there is an inherited association with the people we work for. More often than not, this doesn't harm the protector, instead, it can contribute towards establishing your reputation. Particularly if your client is high profile. So, is it fair that we suffer the fallout of our clients bad decisions and immorality? Personally, I would say yes, if we know and accept the behaviour of our clients. When you agree to work with someone it's your duty to do your due diligence and ask whether you're prepared to be held accountable for their actions. In performing our duties as a professional bodyguard, we're not only protecting our clients, we're enabling them. Therefore, to some degree, we are complicit in their actions. Have you seen the Netflix documentary? What are your thoughts? Was the bodyguard duped, naive or outright complicit? https://www.nme.com/news/film/the-tinder-swindler-bodyguard-threatens-to-sue-netflix-3167937

Posted by Jon (BBA Team) at 2022-02-25 17:52:41 UTC